Saturday, October 9, 2010

More on the homebuilt .50.....

I haven't had too much chance to update this last week or so due to a really oddball work schedule. When I've had the time to sit and type, I really haven't felt like it due to being too tired. So, despite having had most of these pictures around for a few months, I haven't had either the time or the ambition all at once to put them on here. No matter, says I. At this stage in the build, I have about 2/3 of the rifle complete, but I am posting each stage as I get time and energy. I might also mention the fact that my college classes take up a lot of my extra time, on top of working, keeping up with a family, and working on other projects like bookshelves and various other things around the house.

So, this time around I have a pretty simplistic piece I had to machine. This is nothing more than a piece of 2" 4140 solid round stock bored out to 1.5" and an internal 4 degree taper turned on the lathe. This is to fit over the tapered area above the chamber I mentioned in my previous post.
The purposes of this piece are:
1. Center the barrel in the receiver tube
2. Allow the barrel to be pulled tight and solid inside the receiver tube when it is eventually welded into place inside the receiver.






Nothing too special, but it still took a while to make, considering I am working with a 70 year old lathe that was cobbled together from two different lathes (I think) and an assortment of drill bits and boring bars.

Next up, I finally got around to cutting and drilling the receiver for the soon-to-come bolt, chamber, and barrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment