Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Laughing is good for the soul. I hope.

Some of the kinds of tools that see a good bit of use in my tool collection are mill files. I have a good number of different files, each for a different purpose. Some are good for heavy stock removal while others are good for light feathering of material prior to sanding and polishing.

I had welded a seam on some 4130 stock earlier, and had chucked the assembly in the lathe and turned down most of the weld. I didn't want to go too far into the parent material with a grinder or the lathe bit, so I saved the last .05" or so for filing, starting with a heavy mill bastard and progressively working my way up to finer teeth grades of file before finishing with 80 grit sandpaper.

Well, I had been using my heavy mill bastard file on another project (soon to be posted about), and I thought I had left the file over on the workbench by that particular firearm project. When I shut the lathe down to find my file, it was nowhere to be found. I continued to wander around the garage in search of my tooling for almost half an hour when all of a sudden my phone began ringing. I picked it up and started conversating with a friend of mine who had some firearm related questions. After answering his initial questions, he inquired as to what I was doing at the moment.

I sat there thinking for a second trying to think of the best way to explain it to him, when I finally answered, " I'm looking for one of my tools, but all I keep getting is a 404 error: File not found."


About the same time he recovered from his laughter I found my file, laying right next to the tailstock of my lathe. Apparently I had put it there in preparation for the lathe work I had planned to do, and forgotten all about it.

2 comments:

  1. About 7 years ago, I kept getting 403 errors from girls.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The conversation I had with my daughter in my shop when she asked me how her son had picked up a particular word.

    Where'd that bastard go?

    "It's a file. I swear!"

    ReplyDelete