Monday, May 23, 2011

Time to start thinking of the next project..........

Well, as the title says, it's time to start thinking about another project. I am not far from being finished with the .50 BMG (version 3.0), and the Suomi M31 is all but finished, shy of some detail work and a couple of small mechanical parts like recoil springs and an ejector. I will likely finish it shortly after the .50 is done here in a couple weeks (Lord willing and the creek don't rise).

So, what's next?

I've been looking into buying a few AK kits, and perhaps a Goryunov or something similar. However, I am also looking at building a couple of SMG knock-off's from scratch, such as a MKI Sten or an M3 grease gun. The only thing is, the parts kits require money, and I've got a couple of other things I want to build before a Sten or M3.
One item I want to build for sure is a Thompson M1 copy. I love the Thompson design, and I managed to pick up a Thompson forend and buttstock off of Gunbroker a few months ago for a good price. I've got a handful of ideas for a Thompson knock-off, but I won't reveal them here just yet, not until I start building it.

This leads me to my current conundrum of sorts. A while back, I managed to pick up a pair of .308 chambered barrels off of Gunbroker for an insanely low price. Once I got them in, I found out why they were so cheap (25 bucks apiece). Turns out they had been chambered just fine, but had been turned down to about 7/8" OD, which makes them a little goofy looking by themselves. Now, I have a plan to rectify that issue, but that will also be dependent on what type of rifle I build out of them. On top of that, I picked up a .338-06 barrel off of Gunbroker that was a factory Savage barrel. I don't think it had ever had a round fired out of it. I bought it with the intention of re-chambering it, (can you guess what I wanted to chamber it in ?) but once I got the barrel in, I found that due to the size and taper of the barrel, chambering it in a more powerful caliber was out of the question. I have already planned to build that barrel into something rather simple, likely a bolt action rifle that is box magazine fed. The .338-06 round is decent, and is simply a 30-06 case that has been resized to hold a .338 bullet. I must admit that the thought of building a rifle around that barrel doesn't really excite me as much as it should, but I hate to waste a perfectly good barrel.

Now, I'm curious as to what my readers might be interested in seeing. Right now, it's a tossup between the .338-06 something-or-other rifle, a .308 bolt action (maybe semi-auto), mag fed, tube receiver rifle, or a Thompson knock-off in .22, 9mm, or .45 acp. The Thompson would be easy to build (well, sorta), and I've been gathering ideas and parts for it for a while. A .308 rifle falls along the same lines.

Any ideas, suggestions, or general thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. Hmm. And why not to try to made an ak with milled receiver, but - like ak-46 disassemble scheme. With upper & lower receivers?
    http://www.soldierweapons.ru/Foto_3/Kalashnikov/AK2.jpg - something alike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy there, Hyperprapor!

    I hadn't seen such a design before. I am unfamiliar with the AK-46, but I like the idea!
    I am going to start looking into that.

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, and thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see the Thompson build but a .308 mag fed bolt? That'd be way cool. Maybe a scout rifle?
    Six (Blogger won't let me sign in for some reason. I need to check out Wordpress)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Six,

    I was leaning towards the rifle as well.
    I'm not terribly fond of scout rifles, as my vision does not lend well to the optics.
    However, I am not completely against the idea.
    Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lot of the parts necessary to build the Thompson knock-off, and I'm kinda torn as to which one to start on first.

    Maybe I should just split the difference and build a scout Thompson in .308?

    ReplyDelete