Monday, July 25, 2011

Hi Point Drum magazine *update #3*

Still out of town handling family business, but I got a chance to slip out to the range yesterday while the family was distracted by bright and shiny things.

With that said, I'm pretty close to a finished product, I think. I took my version 1.0 prototype to the range yesterday and gave it a shot. I ran a total of 250 round through it, and the only real issues I had were several (~20) failures to eject, (but that has nothing to do with the drum), and probably 5 or 6 failures to feed correctly. My firing pin/striker was bent the other day when I cleaned the rifle, and I straightened it out with some pliers. Now that I've done that, it doesn't eject reliably. I guess I need to call and order a new striker.

I'm going to change the drum-to-feed-tower angle a bit and see if that helps with the 5 or 6 failures to feed that I had. The rounds would feed fine, but they would go into the chamber at just a slight upward angle and stop the bolt from going all the way forward. I had this same problem with my factory mags before, so I think this is a result of my using a Hi Point mag instead of building my own.

I did have two or three dud rounds that jammed up the works, but those were not the fault of the drum, those were the result of crappy primers.






Beyond that, I had virtually no snags in the drum feeding. Had it not been for the dud rounds and the ejection issues, I would have gotten a full drum dump out of it, The most I got was a bit over 50 rounds in one sitting before the rifle would fail to eject, or whatever. The first 72 rounds were WWB, while all the rest were my reloads. I loaded the rounds with 125 grain, .356" diameter cast lead bullets from Wideners, with 5.0 grains of Alliance Bullseye powder pushing them. I used Federal small pistol primers as well. I think I will load them a little hotter next time and see how that works.

I had only tack welded the drum to the mag in four places, and unfortunately, I broke two of those tack welds during my torture test. I literally slammed the drum in place every time it was to be loaded or after I cleared a jam or dud round, shot with the drum supported and with it unsupported, with the factory mag catch bearing all the weight, and still had pretty good results. It does need some extra support due to its' weight, but I have an idea for that.

I won't be able to do anything else with it for a few days until the family issues are resolved, but now I know for sure that it works, and it will work well after some tweaking.

4 comments:

  1. wow glad to see someone with no how taking this issue head on, i love my 995ts but just hate reloading so often. If you get comfortable with this mod would you offer a service to others who are interested?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vewdew3,
    Thanks for stopping by!
    I too love the 995 carbine, but mag capacity is their only shortcoming.
    I plan to make the drums for sale once I settle on a design that works 100%. My projected price for a drum is around 100 dollars. This may seem steep, but I will have plenty of time and materials invested in each drum. However, I'm not finalizing the price until I get a working prototype out on the market.
    Keep an eye on blog updates here as I try to finish things up and produce a decent mag for these great little carbines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just wondering if you ever finished your drums and if you had some for sale?
      You can come tact me at Delahindall@gmail.com. Subject : drum
      Thanks

      Delete
  3. Hey bud what's the word on those drums? Did you ever get to market with a working one or maybe have a working one laying around you'd sell? My name is Rich and you can reach me at richard_clemens@ymail.com please lemme know I'm excited to find out if I can up my mag capacity

    ReplyDelete