Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hi Point Drum magazine

I spent a couple hours on the single stack magazine and Suomi drum configuration tonight. So far, it seems to work just fine. I say so far, because I didn't have enough 9mm in my garage to fill the drum up to max capacity, and all my ammo is in my bedroom in .50 cal ammo cans a few feet away from my sleeping spouse, so I just used the ammo from one of my carry guns and the ammo I had in a factory Hi point mag, so 27 rounds total.
The only issue I had was that the bolt face and feed ramp are both VERY dirty, and need cleaning and polishing. These two in conjunction caused the bolt to load the fresh round, but slowly, as the round could not eject from the magazine and move up the feed ramp smoothly. Some CLP and a scotchbrite pad on my dremel will take care of this.
With that said, if I cycled the bolt quickly, I got every round to chamber just fine. No jams.

To construct this so far, I cut up a 15 round Promag magazine I had laying around that didn't work, (seriously, the only thing worse than the factory crappy magazines is the more-expensive-jam-o-matic 15 round magazines) and then cut the top off of a factory 10 round mag to weld in place on the top of the Promag. Before I could do this, though, I had to get the angle of the mag in relation to the drum correct, so the rounds would point up enough to be stripped off by the bolt, and so they would feed smoothly from the drum into the magazine. It took a couple tries to get the mag angle right, but it seems to work well where it is.






In this pic, you can see how the drum and magazine are offset. Instead of centering the mag over the drum, I offset it so that there was not a sharp bend in the drum-to-mag transition area. It looks a little goofy, but I really don't care, so long as it works.


Looking down from under the barrel at the drum locked in place on the carbine.


This round is just slightly pointing down, but not enough to keep it from being stripped from the mag and chambered.



There is a pretty drastic angle between the drum and magazine, but that is the determining factor in getting the rounds to load right into the magazine.


So, it's all tacked together, and I may take it to the range this week and test it after I clean the inside of the gun real good.
For those of you wondering if the feed lips are strong enough to hold up against the drum spring pressure, they are not. However, if you do a little welding and reinforcement on them, they are stiff as heck and can't be bent, even with a pair of pliers.
Even though I think it's going to work just fine, I'm not real happy with it. There is a lot of work involved in doing this correctly, and that involves hacking up a factory mag and an aftermarket mag just to get to an end product. While I probably could have just made a new mag on my metal brake, I really didn't feel like it. I did it this way to see how feasible it would be, and if a single stack arrangement could be made to work, which I think it can. The thing is, I think half the headaches I had while throwing this setup together were a result of trying to make it all work with a single stack magazine.

I will probably try to test fire it tomorrow or perhaps Wednesday, if i can. If all goes well, I may leave well enough alone, and try my hand at building another. However, if I still don't feel 100% about it, or if I find a good reason not to make another, I am just going to go ahead and modify my rifle to use double stack magazines, and try to build a drum assembly from there.

27 comments:

  1. So far so good. Once you have something that you're satisfied with in terms of function and durability, consider dibs called for the first one made for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. How did I ever guess you would be the first one to call dibs?

    You've hit the nail on the head, though. I can't conscientiously sell anyone, friend, acquaintance, or anything in-between something that I don't think will work. In this case, I'd have to know that the prototype would reliably feed at least 500 fired rounds before I built another. Part of this is that each of these Hi Point carbines is a little bit different. There are numerous reports of people having a good, reliable gun, or a real slop-box. One factory mag known to reliably feed in one gun may not feed as well in another gun.

    If this one works out and I am happy with it, I will build another one to send you for testing. No charge.
    I only ask for reports and pics as to how well it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool. Beta testing custom Hi Point drum mags. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad you're not beta testing Beta mags, eh? =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. once you have one complete and happy with it would you mind sending me the specs so i canbuild one for myself aswell? if not let me know how much you would be selling them for if youplan on doing that thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well how did it perform?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What was the angle on the magazine attached to the Suomi drum on your Highpoint project. Could you PM the info? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick Williams,

    Sorry, I just now saw your comment.
    If you are still watching this, let me know. I have no problem tossing out the information you ask for, if I can help others build a working product, then good. Maybe someone can come up with a better working product that way.
    Should I actually make one for sale, I'm hoping to keep the cost around the 100-125 dollar mark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous@ October 26th,

    It performed well. I was too busy with some personal issues to take the project any farther up until the last month or two.
    I had to tinker with angles and work on internal drum friction issues, as well as build my own magazine. With these issues out of the way, I'll be testing a better unit assembly soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous@ December 26th,
    I have no way of sending you a private message. Aside from that, the angle I started with was 20 degrees. That seemed to work best, but I'm not necessarily done testing yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your still up for testing I have a once-fired 995 TS ready to go. I'de be willing to pay for shipping and your time, is your still intrested in doing so?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by!
      I'm still ironing out issues with replicating the factory magazines to use in conjunction with the drum. Once I have a fully functional assembly, I will be interested in trying it out.
      I have two different people on the Bryco/Jennings forum that are going to get a completed drum unit and will be reporting back to me on how well it worked in their 995's and 995TS models.

      Delete
  11. i would like to know if you ever got this to work if so i would like to see about getting one could u email me when u get time jon_clements2008@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, check your email.
      You might also want to try checking on some of my latest posts, instead of ones from almost a year ago. :)

      Delete
  12. Are you ready to sell one yet? let me know I would like to purchase one if you are. Let me know. Thanks Kv3@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi i would like to know it you are selling yet could u email we at whatarebel@yahoo.com and let me know or the planes

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to buy one also and have a hi-point 995ts that I could use for testing.
    scurlockfinancial@yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you have these ready to sale please email me the price and info so that I can order. bcashion@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does anybody bother reading any of my other posts on this topic?
    You guys are commenting on a post that is going on two years old, and I've had several other updates on this project that indicate the current status.

    Next, if the drum were functional, and I were selling them, don't you think you would have heard about it from several other sources by now?

    Work with me here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you gotten any feedback from the sources in Bryco/Jennings forum yet? I looked for the post. Is it functional yet? I am very interested I have yet to find one anywhere else please email me bobo_whitt@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July 19th, 2011. That's how old this post is.
      If you haven't seen anything hit the market, and can't find any info on it?
      Yeah, shouldn't take much work to figure out this project nose dived, and it did, due to lack of interest.

      Delete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also am interested in buying one mzelaya89@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. People seem to have a real issue with selective reading.

    THERE
    ARE
    NO
    DRUMS
    FOR
    SALE.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maybe there is more interested people in it now. Just an idea. I'd love one or two. And if make them myself if I knew how to weld.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Id buy one asap if i can get one. Lennon1655@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete