Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The machined scope base

Well, nothing real special, just thought I'd throw it out there. It took a little bit to make it, and the original design actually was a little different, but I goofed up a little bit on my measurements, so I just decided to slot it instead, which covered up my idiocy. I also got the bipod finished up aside from the retaining springs. I guess now I will have to do all my finish work to get it ready for color.
I found a scope that I like for the price, but it's going to have to wait for a few weeks until I have enough funds.
That's all for now, more later as I get to it.





7 comments:

  1. Wow, that thing looks massive! I bet it weight around a pound, or even two.
    You plan to mount fixed power optics on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a bit over a pound. The rest of the gun is so heavy, I didn't care about another pound.

    I'm looking at an adjustable-power optic at my local merchant of death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at least you don't have to carry it. :)
    Hmm, and what optics can stand the .50cal recoil? It won't be cheap, i suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. I didn't build it to be mobile. I built it so I could say that I have built a .50 BMG rifle.=)
    If I were going to shoot it a lot or hunt with it, I would have tried to make it weigh less.

    There are plenty of optics that can stand up to the recoil of the .50, a good review of different optics on different mass-produced .50 rifles can be found here
    http://demigodllc.com/articles/battle-of-the-budget-50-bmg-rifles/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh. What the hell can be hunted with .50cal? :) You have there a lot of wild m113? :)
    But i think, this thing can do MOA or less.
    I'm owner of leupold 4.5-14x scope mounted on .300WM remington... Well - it was a good choise. May be such can be mounted even on this helluva toy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. According to the anti-gun media, this rifle is only good for hunting school buses full of sick school children living in poverty.
    I have seen people shoot deer with a .50, but not often.
    I am sure it will be Minute of Asshole, which is good enough for me. =)
    The recoil of the last .300 WM rifle I shot was actually worse than the .50, believe it or not. There is a difference, the .50 shoves you, the .300 WM kicks you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah. You can hunt with it EVERYTHING. :)
    The only problem is to find some intact parts(well - more or less), of trophy afterwards...

    ReplyDelete