Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm baaaack...

Okay, finally got done with all the family business and got home. I'm beat, but ready to tear into the drum project again.
I found that I may have too steep an angle on the drum-to-mag assembly, so I am going to try changing the angle some. I was pretty happy with the first range test, but I think I can do better. I didn't have any rounds try to nosedive in the mag, the drum fed very consistently, and it was overall worth continuing.
I did notice that the feed lips on the factory mag are starting to spread apart a little. This confirms my belief that the factory mag is not a viable option, long term. I am going to have to make a mag that welds to the drum, and it will have to be made from thicker material than factory mags are, as well as have longer feed lips that are reinforced on the back of the mag. The factory mag simple has bent sheetmetal mag lips, with nothing on the back of the mag to help them stay in correct form. Look at a higher capacity magazine if this is confusing, the back of the mag extends up and is joined to the feed lips on most double stack magazines.
Although the drum fed fairly smoothly, it wasn't as smooth as I'd like. I took the drum completely apart and cleaned all the grease, grime, dirt, and lead shavings out of it before hosing it down with brake cleaner. I lightly oiled the inside pivoting plate bearing surfaces (the part of the rotating plate inside the drum that contacts the drum outer shell) then reassembled the drum. This helped smooth out the feeding a bit, but I think I can do better. I looked around and found strips of Teflon bearing  that I want to glue inside the drum on the walls where the bullets touch the drum. This can't hurt anything, and I bet this would make the rounds feed even smoother. Right now the ammo ascends the drum tower (mag) with little issue, but it is kinda raspy inside the drum as the rounds feed and rub against the inside of the drum.

So, I need to machine a buck out of steel stock that I can use to make mags with by using it in conjunction with a hydraulic press. The buck will be placed on top of a piece of sheetmetal and then be forced through a female die, before the back sides of the mag are then formed in place and welded together. This is the only way I can think of making a mag and retaining the radius on the front of the magazine like the factory mags have. This will take a couple of days to make, but should be worth the work. Once a mag is made, it's all downhill from there. Stay tuned, and if any of my readers have comments or questions, feel free to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment