Saturday, December 10, 2011

New Logan lathe

Well, I started to tinker with the HiPoint drum and only got so far before I realized that my tools were limiting me a bit. I found that I needed at the very least another lathe, and a milling machine if at all possible. Thanks to Craigslist, I found a small lathe identical to my old Logan I had last year, and it was for sale at a decent price. I contacted the seller and purchased the lathe sight unseen.
I picked up the lathe last week, and kinda wish I had ran it first before forking over the cash. It was complete, but really dirty and missing a couple of parts. There's nothing holding me back that I can't improvise or fabricate, so it was a good deal in the end. Turns out the guy I purchased the lathe from also has a large industrial sized Bridgeport mill and Rockwell lathe he is selling that I may pick up from him in the future, but that is a few months out.
So, the last few days have been spent tearing the lathe down and stripping all the dirt, oil, grease, and paint that had accumulated on the lathe over the last 70 years (it was originally built in 1941, and it looks like that was the last time it was cleaned off. The lathe has been repainted before, but it doesn't look like the Picasso who painted it bothered to clean it first.)
Here's the lathe from when I unloaded it off the truck and set it in the corner of my garage.





After a LOT of lacquer thinner, paint stripper, wire brushing, sanding, degreasing, priming, and then painting with Rustoleum Smoke Gray oil based paint, here's what we have so far.....







I still have a lot of small parts to clean, strip, sand, prime, and paint, but most of the large/hard stuff is out of the way. I have to find a way to machine a new gear for the back gear assembly as the 28 tooth gear that was already there is missing several teeth, so that needs to be attended to.

The upside is that the guy I bought this lathe from has had it for several years, and never used it. He purchased it from a guy in the Houston area who had a small machine shop, and my understanding is that that was the second owner. Aside from being very dirty, the machine was in decent shape. The ways are not terribly worn, all the bearings and bushings seem to be in good shape, and after being cleaned, repainted, and re-lubed, it should run like new.
That's all for now.....

4 comments:

  1. Friend, i'm glad you're back and ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good. I'm in the process of enlarging my shop so don't be surprised to get a snivel e-mail from me asking for free advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hyperprapor,

    Good to hear from you!
    I'm glad to be back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Six,

    New shop, eh? Most men only dream of having one, you are one lucky guy!
    Anything you need, feel free to ask!

    ReplyDelete