Thursday, December 22, 2011

update on the Logan lathe and the Hi Point drum mod

I have been pretty swamped with personal stuff over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, so I've not gotten as far as I would have liked on the lathe rebuild or the Hi Point drum magazine mod. I have, however, gotten a prototype magazine built out of 16 gauge sheetmetal. This was somewhat difficult to do, as 16 gauge sheetmetal is difficult to form sharp bends or radii with. It required the use of a press buck (that I built while living in west Texas) as well as the use of a oxy fuel torch to heat the material before bending. The reason for using such thick metal is because when I welded a factory magazine to a Suomi drum, the mag began to split apart, and the feed lips began to spread. This could've been disastrous to use on a normal basis, so it just made sense to build something more reliable and much stronger than factory.

The raw metal magazine

I have made some progress on the lathe. The only things keeping me from having it back together and working is the back gear is missing some teeth and the bearings in the motor are pretty shot. Other than that, the lathe is back in (mostly) one piece.





I have something else in mind for the lathe once I get it up and running, I am going to finally build my short-barreled SKS. If you look on the sidebar of this blog, you'll see an SKS I dreamed up and did some cut and paste work on. This build will require me to shorten the gas piston assembly and move the gas port back a couple inches. The final product will have a ~12" barrel and a Tapco Intrafuse stock. I will also be machining the receiver to accept AK magazines, and I will be machining a small brake for the barrel. This is still a few weeks in the future, and I've got to wait on the ATF form 1 to come back before I can begin the build.
I should have the Hi Point 995 carbine drum assembly welded up soon, and hopefully I'll be testing it before long.

No comments:

Post a Comment