Saturday, February 18, 2012

A mag for the Hi Point drum

I got tired of being jerked around by the local sheetmetal shops, so I decided to buy a new brake. A quick trip to Harbor Freight and I saw they had a simple 36" brake (identical to one I used to have) for $300, but it was on sale for $220. I had a 20% off coupon in the truck, so I picked up the brake for about $175.
I mangled a couple of pieces of 4130 sheetmetal in the first few attempts to get a mag built, but finally found a method that worked to get a mag bent and functional.
For the record, that 4130 sheet is a PAIN to bend with a non-hydraulic press brake, even when the sheet is annealed. This is .040" 4130 sheet, and there is no comparison to .040" mild steel. I was bending 6.5" lengths, and I had to muscle it a little bit to get it bent on the brake. There is no way the spring pressure from the drum will bend the feed lips even in the annealed state, and if I harden them via oil quenching, they will stay where I put them.


The mag fits really tight, unlike the sloppy factory mag. This is a plus, as far as I am concerned. The feed lips are not formed yet, but I'll get to that soon.



I also got a mag in for the Bren parts kit. That let me set the spacing between two of the cut portions on the old receiver. This is handy to have, even if it will be a while before I get to this project.


I hope to have some more drum towers made soon, and I'll get this one I made welded onto a drum pretty soon so I can get it up and running.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent news! I ordered two drums from Centerfire Systems yesterday.

    farmkid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear, Farmkid!
      They may come in handy real soon....

      Delete
    2. Well, I know that you're not guaranteeing anything at this point, but as you mentioned before: get 'em while you can, and Centerfire has a great deal on them right now.

      And if things don't work out and I have to buy a Suomi kit later to use 'em, well, poor poor me. :-)

      fk

      Delete
  2. Two drums (one for me; one for my brother) showed up on my doorstep today, so I'm ready when you are!

    And those kits sound awesome: I look forward to some progress reports on them when time permits.

    fk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news!
      I should have something to update about over the next few days; the power steering rack went out on my car this last week, so I've been a bit preoccupied with that. It hasn't prevented me from working on the drum at all, though. :)

      Delete