Saturday, April 21, 2012

Dallas blogshoot

I am back from the blogshoot/meet up, and I'm beat. We had more guns and ammo there than I could've imagined.
I brought this, and it put a smile on a lot of faces.



Of course, it wouldn't be a complete day unless it gave me a headache or two.
Right off the bat, the bolt handle broke. I rightly earned my blog title by fishing around in the bed of my truck and procuring an actual, well, bolt, that then served as the bolt handle for the rest of the day. Impromptu, but functional. From there, the little allen head bolts that hold the bolt head to the bolt body actually sheared due to recoil. I had to disassemble the rifle and get the bolt head out, then use my Leatherman to remove the broken screw threads. I took a screw from the stock assembly to put the bolt head back together and got back in business.

I don't have much time to post more today, but I'll leave this parting note:
There are some awesome people out there in the blogging community, and holy crap, do we have a LOT of guns. 


12 comments:

  1. It was a great day indeed RNE. And, yes your 50 cal. definitely put a smile on Southern Belle's face.
    We've got a fair amount of stuff to post tomorrow.
    Right now, I'm headed for the rack. I'm tuckered out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an awesome day, and one I won't soon forget.
      I figure I'll have some video up shortly.

      I had to work all night. I finally got to rack out this morning and man, was I beat!

      Delete
  2. Awesome. But isn't sight mounted too far ahead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the scope that is on it, yes.
      For the scope I am going to have on it later, no.
      Konus M31 is the scope I will soon have
      http://www.amazon.com/Konus-7282-Riflescope-8-5x-32x52mm-Illuminated/dp/B001DXBXMM

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for letting me shoot that .50 cal! I am STILL smiling about it today! For me, it was really an opportunity of a lifetime. It was really great meeting you and will see you at the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it put a smile on your face, and a tear in Sarah Brady's eye, then it did what I built it to do.

      It was awesome meeting you and your husband, I am glad to be acquainted with such nice people as yourselves.

      Delete
  4. It was great meeting you. Giana smiles every time we mention that gun.
    The primer issues provided a real surprise, too. You made a lot of smiles, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to admit it, but I can't remember which gunny you were, Cormac. I'm sure if you remind me what you were wearing or shooting, I'll remember. It was good meeting everyone yesterday!

      That is the problem with that Brazilian surplus crap we were shooting. The primers are so hard to pop that you almost have to hit them with a hammer to get them to go off. The AR15 hammer and hammer spring in that .50 just don't have quite enough *umph* to light them off. American Eagle ammo works fine the first time, though. Hopefully next time I'll have some of it on hand.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Ah. I remember you now. It's the hat that does it.

      Delete
  6. The black boonie hat? black shirt? Not only do I suck at remembering names, but apparently I'm not too good at reading name tags either. Who let me out of the home? Where's my caretaker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kx59, you nailed it. Though both he and I were wearing black shirts, I could not match the epicness of the black boonie hat.

      Delete