Thursday, April 26, 2012

One of those days.......

You ever have one of those days where nothing seems to go right and you break everything you touch?
This is one of those days.
So far, I've
1. Snapped a very expensive carbide endmill. As in ~100 dollar endmill.
2. Ruined a 17mm drill bit and in order to replace it cheaply I've got to order one from china.
3. Broken my reamer that I use to bore the holes on AR 15 receivers for the hammer and trigger.
4. Broke a carbide bit in my dremel and broke the dremel in the process.
5. Buggered up the forearm I was machining out of a solid piece of aluminum hex stock for the AR45.
6. Ran out of sandpaper while trying to remove a blemish in a Suomi 80% receiver.
7. Ruined several custom cut pieces of 4130 sheet metal while trying to make a fire control box for the RPD.
8. Broke a screw extractor in the bolt head of my .50 while trying to remove the screws that sheared the other day.

The list goes on but I'll leave it at that. I give up. I'm gonna lay on the couch and drink some sweet tea and Honey Jack, and maybe I'll get rid of this awful neck spasm I've been having as a result of the stress that's come about from the school semester wrapping up. Final exams are in a couple weeks and I'm not looking forward to them.

One good thing I got done today, I machined a 80% Suomi receiver half for someone. I managed to make that this morning without too much incident. Now all I need is a 17mm drill bit so I can finish the other half of the receiver. =\

So far today I've wrecked a couple hundred bucks of equipment and machined 25 bucks worth of 4130 tubing. I'm just not liking how that balances out.....

If you don't see me post within a couple weeks it's because I've set fire to my workshop and had myself committed to wearing a tight jacket and bouncing my head off of walls in a rubber room.

T.R.E.

6 comments:

  1. You ever have one of those days where nothing seems to go right and you break everything you touch? Absolutely. I just give up before you do, and don't break that much stuff.

    Ever break off an expensive carbide engraving bit in wax? I broke off one of those in my arm while cleaning up the mill after a project. (No big deal, it just took a few seconds with tweezers and opti-visors).

    It comes with the territory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but you see, I am no quitter! When I am on a roll of tearing up stuff, I give it my college best. =)

      I've not had the pleasure of embedding carbide in my skin. I'm sure once it catches on it will be all the rage with the teenagers who enjoy punching random holes in their skin and putting hula hoops in their ears.
      I did, however, once get a fleck of hot carbide embedded in my eye. That was a fun emergency room trip.

      Delete
  2. I think I might have given up for the day right around item no. 3. Fortunately, none of the things you broke was you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In retrospect, I should have just stayed on the couch drinking Jack Daniels and smoking cigars all day instead of working in the shop, but no, I had to be ambitious.

      You are correct though. I'm none the worse for wear aside from the headache that comes about from banging ones head on the wall in frustration.

      Delete
  3. Got to give you points for tenacity ... I too would have given up at #3 ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hindsight is 20/20 on this one.
      I honestly thought that things would stop breaking at some point. Little did I know that that point would coincide with running out of things to break. =/

      Delete