Wednesday, June 26, 2013

An update to the puzzle piece AR lower

I've been on light duty around the house while my hand is healing, so I haven't accomplished much.
However, I have worked on my puzzle piece AR lower, courtesy of Jack Squat's Flat Spot.



I've knocked quite a bit of weight off this already just by milling the slots in it. It's still approximately twice the weight of a standard milspec lower, but that's far from a problem.
Hopefully this weekend I will weld the buffer tube on.

This has been fun to tinker with since my dominant hand is mostly out of service, but welding has been a real challenge. Thankfully, most of the welds were easy to grind, file, and sand out.

More projects and work soon to come, I hope.

6 comments:

  1. That looks sharp. Have you decided how you are going to finish it? Spray paint, blue, or phosphate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know just yet.
      "Something cheap" is my first thought, so it will either be flame-blued, or spray painted.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    How do you know where to weld?
    Have you gotten this lower onto an upper yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I understand your first question. How would you NOT know where to weld?

      I have not put an upper on it yet, I'm still weighing options on that one.

      Delete
  3. Question for you: I have recently completed a JackSquat FlatLower, and im having a issue with the selector switch not going in to be able to engage the trigger/hammer assembly. Have you had this issue? Im wondering if mine might be drilled off or if my assembly is off.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not noticed any particular problem with it.
      With that said, I am not using this lower yet, as it is not going to go on an AR rifle, but on a rendition of another rifle not yet available in the U.S.

      Delete