Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Projects.......we got 'em. NOW WITH MOAR PKM PICS

For those of you who still come through here from time to time looking for.....well, whatever it is you look for, I thought it worthwhile to put up a picture of a recent project that has finally been (mostly) completed.


Say hello to my little friend.










That is a Soviet-era PKT that I built into a PKM copy. It fires the 7.62x54R cartridge. It was originally solenoid fired and pintle mounted, but is now a shoulder-fired rifle.

- I did a reweld on the receiver, and welded in several blocking features to keep it semiauto only.
- The FCG is all AR15 parts with a Wolf power hammer spring.
- The lower receiver that houses the FCG was machined on my CNC mill from 1" thick steel billet, and has a very nice maple grip from www.red1stocks.com.
- Buttstock is original surplus from www.Desertfoxsales.com
- The barrel originally was much longer, larger diameter, and had three holes drilled into it to demill the barrel. I threaded, plugged, and welded two of the holes, then cut about 8" off the barrel before turning it down on the lathe, then fluting it on the mill. It weighs about 60% what it once did, and looks much better, in my opinion.
- Sights are not installed yet, but will be salvaged from an AK rifle.
- Bipod is from an RPD and mounted in original PKM location. I will likely trim the legs down later.
- I am working on a custom-machined muzzle attachment based on the original flash hider.


I will try to put some more pics up later, including some pics taken during the build process.




16 comments:

  1. Now I"m really jealous. You get All the nice toys :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't "get" this one as-is, built semiauto PKMs go for 8-10k from MarcoMar. This started out as a kit I paid 700 bucks for and spent weeks of "hour here, hour there" work on.

      Delete
  2. Nice work!

    I might be a decent machinist for doing certain things, but I'm nowhere near as good as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily there wasn't a whole lot of machining on the PKM, otherwise I would have botched this thing more than I already did. =)

      Thanks for the compliments!

      Delete
  3. I very recently found your blog & I've enjoyed reading your posts starting from the beginning. You're obviously very talented & humble. Your replies to compliments are evidence of that. Too bad I didn't know about you when you lived in "west Texas". I would have enjoyed buying you lunch in appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliments. I still travel to west Texas from time to time and always enjoy meeting readers and fellow gunnies.
      I prefer being humble to the alternative =)

      Delete
  4. Another great job done.
    Fired it yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      No, haven't had time. Perhaps this weekend, if I'm lucky.

      Delete
    2. And is there any problems with ammunition? I heard that's there some deficit of it. Perhaps it was only about 5.45...

      Delete

    3. The 7.62x54R is very plentiful, but the 7n6 5.45x39 mm was just banned from import.
      I'm sitting on several thousand rounds of 54R, I'll be okay for a while. =)

      Delete
  5. Just wow! I'm jealous of both your skill and your toys :)

    Keep us posted with your progress on this and other projects over which we can salivate.

    Farmkid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, FarmKid. I appreciate your kind words.
      Good to hear from you, as always.

      Delete
  6. Hello once more.
    I need your advice and critics, as an experienced gunsmith.
    http://hyperprapor.blogspot.ru/2014/05/blog-post_5.html - here some thoughts about improving AK scheme. Will it work?
    Because of our restrictive laws - i simply can't build it and test...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll comment on your site about it.
      Looks fine to me, for the most part.

      Delete
  7. That is a sweet build you have there! Bad @ss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bud.
      It's a lot of fun to shoot, too.

      Delete