As previously mentioned, I have to do this work in a certain order to prevent becoming a felon. I certainly don't want to blog about something and toss up pics that would later lead to my conviction, should I have a brain fart and forget to do something by the book. With that in mind, I had to modify the barrel first and make sure it was legal length before I made a modified receiver extension that the barrel mounts to. Had I made the receiver extension first, I would have then had to modify the barrel to fit this extension, and by the definition of the
Am I being paranoid? Probably. But, being paranoid and cautious usually keeps one from being a guest of the state in a concrete room.
With that said, I figured the easiest way to make the receiver extension assembly unable to ever take a factory 12" barrel would be to turn down the end of my barrel and thread it, then thread the receiver extension to accept the barrel. This would be turned to 3/4"x16 t.p.i.
Here I chucked up the barrel and started to turn down the chamber end down to .75" OD from its original diameter of .8"
With the barrel threaded on the chamber end and turned down on the muzzle end, I took a quick picture or two.
The whole assembly is yet to be silver soldered together, but that will probably happen tomorrow. More pics then, perhaps in a couple days.